Breathe

Romeo...an anti-capitalist?




William Shakespeare = love, trust, fate, homoeroticism, life, death, freedom, oppression, etc..etc....
...........and now...anti-capitalism?

While I was reading Romeo and Juliet, I came across a quote that reveals what Will thinks about money...

(this is at the scene of Romeo buying illegal poison for suicide after hearing upon Juliet's death)

Romeo:
There is thy gold--worse poison to men's souls,
Doing more murder in this loathsome world
Than these poor compounds that thou mayst not sell.
I sell thee poison; thou hast sold me none (5.1).


Hm... I think I like this play after all! Now...only if they could include this theme when reading Romeo and Juliet in our education system. These verses would benefit the world a lot more than a notion of barely reproductive virgins dying for love-at-first-sight.

End